Saturday, August 27, 2005

Won't get fooled again

Sometimes I wonder why I haven't put in any efforts to get my voter ID card.There is a huge campaign going on targeted at people like me who are educated (someone who can sign his own name in India) and just above 18.These campaigns bring in celebrities and use cheeky puns like 'showing your finger' to project that voting is the 'cool' thing to do.I half expect Hallmark/Archies to come up with 'voting cards' of the other kind and wrist bands or badges to cater to this population to celebrate this achievement of exercising their rights.This would make things even cooler.

I am not influenced by these sweet syrupy campaigns.If anything they irritate me.Like those millions of manufactured 'days' that are celebrated and cashed upon.So why don't I go ahead and do it?


I was looking for the answer and then I heard this song by The Who,which probably reflects my attitude.

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again.

Either I am undecided or it just does not matter.Should I vote on the negatives or the positives? Should I vote for the party or the person? So many questions to answer.

I can't think of a single unique policy that a government has made that has affected me directly.And I mean directly.Except perhaps Jaitley's decision to curb the late night classified movies :D. Hikes in petrol prices are not government specific.Everyone has to do it. The policies about the IIT's money to Bharat Shiksha
Kosh hardly have any effect on my day to day life.So how do I get to decide?

I am too ignorant and uninformed on the effects on industries and agriculture.Too unconcerned about the foreign policy.Internal politics hardly matter.One thing I do know is that whenever I get a chance to visit my native village,I see no change.Same pathetic roads,same abysmal power supplies,same schools,same hospital,same everything.Village being in Bihar doesn't help either.Highly disillusioning.

This from a person who when asked in exam to write an essay on 'Your Ambition in life' somewhere around 8th std. wrote that he wanted to be a politician.A revolutionary one,who would remove the 'dirty' tag from politics.This when everyone wrote about being an engineer,doctor,pilot,astronaut and what not.I got the marks all right and probably that's all I had wished for.

So instead of wasting my vote and then repenting about it (as it is I retrospect a lot),I choose to stay away.Watch from the sidelines,wishing for a change.Applauding any change but going on with daily life just as well.And if anything wrong happens,just pray that we don't get fooled again.Just as the song says.

No comments: