Friday, October 21, 2005

A real Cock Fight

Just back from an inter hostel debating event.As an audience that is,came back after watching our team.They did well,but IMHO they had the easier arguments to put forward.

This made me think what kind of debates I like to indulge in.An 'official' debate would be too tough for me,considering my spoken English.And a bit of idealistic crap too.But interesting topics like the conversation that follows would be real fun,instead of the boring ones I've seen.

Canteen.1 month back.

We were having the regular Chicken Noodles when suddenly Rai started wondering-

R:Wonder how they kill these chicks,Jhatka method or the other one.

Me:Yeah some people are pretty rigid about that thing,wonder how they do it?
R:They should use the J method.
Me:Why? We are not rigid about how we eat,at least think about the people who are,let them eat too.And again the packed food company would think about the wider consumer base..so-
R:But think about the chicks.They are killed pretty ruthlessly by that method.J method minimises their pain.
Me:Abe you are KILLING the chick,how does feeling come in between then?
R:At least be considerate before killing,minimise the suffering.
Me:When you are killing that thing,why not think about you? The other method is scientific I guess,heard a lot about blood clotting crap..
R:We have been eating by the J method all our lives,have we ever fallen ill?
Me:No,but we can anytime.
R:We won't if we haven't.I've never heard of cases in hospital where a person is dying beacuse he ate chicken killed by a particular method.
Me:Scientific vs. practicalilty,seen that a lot of times,I guess nothing more to say then.
R:They should learn to eat this way.
Me:Now you are treading on the faith and religion issue mate,and that could take a night and still be unresolved.And the world is debating that everyday anyway.
R:Yeah right and even our Noodle's over.This tells it's time to stop.

So we stop.Chicks continue being killed.Nevermind the method.
And I'm not going into a veg vs. non veg. debate,that I've had a lot of times.This one is different.
See! No laws are going to me made on this.Leave that kind to the parliament.We are not going to be politicians anyway.At least not me.

UPDATE:We came 2nd in that debate.Congrats Krishna,KP and co. :)
A job well done.

No comments: