Thursday, November 24, 2005

Before I say goodbye.....

My exams got over today and another semester ends with that.I am off to home tomorrow,with a two day pit stop at Nagpur.I had a lot on my mind,a lot of things I wanted to write about but just didn't have the time.Now I don't have the enthusiasm to do that,so this post goes out to broadly list them,so that I don't have a feeling of incompleteness before I leave.

I wanted to carry on from my earlier post and list all the lies I had come across,specifically in news dealing with IIT's.The overblown ragging incident in IITD (I came to know very minute details of that story through my brother who lives in that very hostel),another badly dealt with case in IITKgp and then the real life encounter with the Aaj Tak journalist who wanted to interview us about the 'panic' that had set in with the crocodile sighting in the pond and the state of terrified campusites after 'numerous' panther sightings before that.I thought them over and realised that I would not be pointing out anything new.News is a thing to be marketed and half truths are manipulated and presented to have a sensational value.Emotions and common sense take a back seat.Infact it would have been a hypocrisy of sorts to write about them when all my life I have read and believed everything the media had to tell me about Iraq,about Israel and numerous other issues.So I just let go.

UPDATE: Varun's blog has pretty much everything blogosphere thinks of the incident,along with repercussions and discussions.

Then there was the end of the 15 year old mis-rule in my home state Bihar.My dad and uncle and a lot of other close relatives being in the state goverment,I have heard and witnessed chiling tales of misgovernance and chaos and it felt nice that finally such a rule saw the end of the day.Although I don't have any immediate hopes with the new one,but it feels nice as a symbolic change.I wanted to write something about that,but I just have the right song in mind:

The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they are flown in the next war

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again


I wanted to look back on the 5 years of Ganguly at the helm,which had more ups than downs.But that will have to wait.

Inspite of the fact that my exams were going on,I didn't miss most of the sporting action that happened this week.I saw India stop SA's winning run,read about Federer's run being stopped in monumental 5 setter by Nalbandian,saw England choke on their sub 200 chase,read about the Real drubbing at Barca's hand courtsey some Ronaldinho magic-I wanted to mention all of these somewhere,now I just have.

So now I can leave for home.Maybe continue blogging with a small post here and there,but I think it's a test of patience to do that over frustrating connections in small cyber cafe cubicles.Maybe I will take a break.

Mood Indigo will take place form 26th of December this year and I will most probably be there for that.Will resume full time then.

Adieus.