Thursday, April 27, 2006

I feel summer creeping in and I'm tired of this town again


Homeward bound


Too many songs as post titles? Latest muse it is. Appropriate though. Exams are over and in about 5 hours from now I'll be on my way on a jam packed train for a 34 hour journey back home. That too on unconfirmed tickets as of now. This when most of my illustrious friends would be booking flights to different parts of the globe for summer internships. Me? I never bothered to even make my resume. Home it shall be, although it's not what it used to be earlier. Remember this exchange from Garden State?

Andrew Largeman
: You know that point in your life when you realize that the house that you grew up in isn't really your home anymore? All of the sudden even though you have some place where you can put your stuff that idea of home is gone.

Sam: I still feel at home in my house.

Andrew Largeman: You'll see when you move out it just sort of happens one day one day and it's just gone. And you can never get it back. It's like you get homesick for a place that doesn't exist. I mean it's like this rite of passage, you know. You won't have this feeling again until you create a new idea of home for yourself, you know, for you kids, for the family you start, it's like a cycle or something. I miss the idea of it. Maybe that's all family really is. A group of people who miss the same imaginary place.


I had mentioned this earlier on my blog too, and this feeling grows stronger.

This and that

There are a million things to write now, but I don't think I can fit them all in one monster of a post. I'll have to do with the highlights

* The insane amount of time I spent on youtube during my endsems greedily moving one form one music video to another, one Monty Python sketch to the next one and the heady nostalgic stuff I managed to uncover. The opening track of Silver Spoons and other forgotten sitcoms, videos of Ring of Fire, No Rain, Gloria and a list of other favourite videos, favourite movies scenes like the ones from Cinema Paradiso, The Good The Bad and The Ugly and so on. Priceless I'd say.

* The end sems themselves. But Giddu has done an amazingly honest review here. So I don't need to do that.

* The epic football matches. Spurs almost beating Arsenal but for the phenomenal Henry goal. Villareal doing everything but score a goal against Arsenal. Liverpool beating Chelsea with a superb Garcia goal. AC Milan losing out to Barcelona with some Ronaldnho magic, but only just.

* My own footballing adventures and the matches we play until 9pm with the super arrangement with the lights and an inviting footer field. And the minor recognition that comes with playing decent football. Nicer feeling than anything else. Of course I still have to do justice to that on the bigger occasions and I'm trying.

* The summer ration of books I'm taking to pass time back home. Finally got hold of The Golden Gate. Will try my first Joyce with Potrait of an Artist as a Young Man and a random Greene novel. Then there's Calcutta Chromosome and of course a mandatory re-reading of Catch22 I do every 2-3 months. Hope that'll be enough.

* My arrangement with friends going all over the world to bring back sports memorabilia. If things go according to plan I would have Australian Rugby Union tee, a rugby ball and also an All Back tee or a Shane Bond jersey, Swiss national football tee, Korean 2002 world cup jersey, Spurs jersey with Keane on the back, German national jersey with Schweinsteiger on the back and few more arrangements. Friends, what are they for afterall.

* The sem round up, proudest moment being part of the Bronze winning footabll team. Second proudest winning the Main GC trivia quiz. And then being given a cult colour along with my quizing mate Audi and also a sports special mention for football. Though honestly I didn't do justice to my place in the team. Hopefully there will be a next time.

* Movies I loved lately and am taking back home. The Manchurian Candidate, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf being two of the better ones.

* The back to back trips to Maddu Mess at 5am in the morning. Watching the sunrise on Sameer hilltop on one of those days with the two lakes and an ocean as the backdrop. The utter disappointment on the new face of the Sammer hills which look more like a high security fortifies area than a favourite getaway spot. They are ruining everything.

The Sleep Dilemma

Joshi had this problem last night when we were coming back to hostel after watching the football match. There is this fish tank place in the MB and as we were passing by, he wondered if the fishes ever slept.

Joshi: How do these fish sleep, or do they ever sleep?
Me: They have to move continuosly as they exhale Carbon di-oxide and that place becomes insufficient in dissolved Oxygen. Wonder how they manage to move while sleeping.
Someone else: Like we breathe during our sleep?
Joshi:But we have a bed underneath, we don't stay afloat in air. Fishes have to stay afloat in water. ..(then he gives this arbit funda)..maybe they go to a place where the density of water equals that of fish bdy and hence stay afloat.
Kareena: Maybe there is some air filling mechanism that keeps them afloat while sleeping.
Joshi: Seriously how do they sleep, without support like we have beds?
Me: Ever wondered why 'ocean beds' and and 'river beds' are called so?

Nobody argues after that killer logic of course. Seriously how the heck do fishes sleep?

I have time enough to watch Discovery and Animal Planet to find out the answers. Hopefully I will and let you know. Till then Sayonara!

Let the summers begin.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful lines,made me watch the movie again.And are you making good use of foreign PTs or what?
-Rahul

Nikhil said...

[rahul] nahi content with staying at home and watching the world cup on TV

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info »