Monday, May 01, 2006

Nostalgia-Life at IITB : a short video






This video was edited by Ankur along with Ankur Shah (both passing out batch 2006) and Krishna as the man on the bike. Some of you, those who haven't been to IITB anyway, won't have any idea of what's going on so I'll take it upon me to explain. It's basically the footage of a bike journey from the main gate to Hostel-13 (yes that infamously famous multicrore hostel) via all that's in between. Simple as that. In between you'll see classroom shots, profs, OAT before PAF etc. etc.

Firstly the extremely poor quality of the video, entirely my fault, would seriously hamper your opinion about it. So I plead you not to do that and if possible get to watch the original video to get a grip of the idea and the execution. Only then you'll be able to get to see the synchro of the audio and video, something that took quite a while to do. Things like the first bump co-inciding with the first bumper on bike, marching sounds when the students go past running and few other minor details would go unnoticed. But the upload limit that youtube gave prevented me from uploading the original decent quality video. So I had to encode the video, crawling through manual pages of mencoder, linux groups and what nots to finally reduce the size to less than a third of the original.

But then it was never meant to win the short movie award at Cannes Film Festival, so I guess putting up something was better than putting nothing. I've done my bit of explaining because apparently it's been linked on some site (thankyou to the site people by the way for doing that) and the poor quality is affecting the opinions of people. Now it never claims to be the flame bearer of what IITB means to the world so I don't see what's putting off people as such. Still if you'll strain your eyes to watch a youtube video in which Aishwarya Rai drapes Oprah Winfrey in sari and feel all proud about that, then I guess I can't say anything more.

And you wonder what people do after exams get over?

6 comments:

Varun Singh said...

Hi-tech ho gaye hain yaar log-baag. And the campus has changed too, not much tho. Good one there!

Sunil Kundal said...

mast video re ... nice editting !!

geetika said...

Nicely done...you see the magical thing about all college videos/features/films is that when you watch them, you somehow don't see the campus its been shot in, you don't see who are the people, where all of it is happening...I dunno how to put it in a better way, but what I mean is that I saw me, my college, my friends,my times...for that one moment, it didn't matter that the Nescafe isn't the exact same that served me my trademark peach-iced-tea at the behest of a smile and a wave, or that the road is not the exact same one that bore my burden from the bus-stop to the college gate every single day of the year, or heck, that's it's not even the same city!
It's almost like,um, you know, that it's not just your memories, but mine too, and everyone else's-who's watching it.
Okay,I think I have lost it sufficiently now, but thanks for evoking all that nostalgia:)

Nikhil said...

[varun] thanks. log itne bhi nahi badle :)

[kundal] thanks man

[geetika] our pleasure, every single smile, every little trip down memory lane this video evokes, just adds on to the purpose of making it :)

Snehanshu Gandhi said...

aise hi bhatakte bhatakte(thru orkut :P) came to ur blog today after long...saw this video....ismein main bhi hoon!!!! yayyyyy:P bas yahi bolna tha:D

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! film editing schools