Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Sreesanth: The Modern Black Knight?

Sreesanth is being a prick. I have reservations about show of too much enthusiasm, let alone over the top enthusiasm, and Sreesanth is taking things way beyond the limit. Probably you are a part of the group of people whose blood would have boiled reading Symond's article and hence support everything Sreesanth does, but I detested what he was doing in the T20 WC even when he was doing well.

In this series, especially after what Symonds has done to him, his plight reminds of the Black Knight from Monty Python. A refresher course just in case:


Monty Python's Black Knight - Click here for another funny movie.

Imagine Symonds as King Arthur and Sreesanth as the Black Knight, and the legendary dialogues take a new meaning.


ARTHUR: Look, you stupid bastard. You've got no arms left.
BLACK KNIGHT: Yes, I have.
ARTHUR: Look!
BLACK KNIGHT: Just a flesh wound.
BLACK KNIGHT: Right. I'll do you for that!
ARTHUR: You'll what?
BLACK KNIGHT: Come here!
ARTHUR: What are you going to do, bleed on me?
BLACK KNIGHT: I'm invincible!
ARTHUR: You're a looney.


I'm no Symonds fan or a fan of Aussie brand of mental disintegration. But I think there are better things in the world than to irk someone of his nature. Sportsmen, the best kind, have a tendency to perform when they are irked thus. Just ask Flintoff and Yuvraj.

However I have serious issues with the 'monkey chant' racist claims that Symonds has made. The last time I heard a thing like this was the infamous Eto'o incident, and I doubt whether word came to the Indian spectators that such a thing can be construed as a racist remark. After all who are we to pass racist comments? Also, I have been to international matches to stadiums across the country (not too many mind you) , and trust me, there are far far worse abuses that are hurled across, it just depends if you want to make it an issue or not.

All this does make it real interesting for India's tour to Australia. One thing we can be sure of is that there would be no incident like the one in which Srinath apologised to Ponting for a bouncer who then rudely pointed his bat and asked him to f-off and get back to the bowling crease. How times change!


UPDATE: It was a pleasant surprise to look at the morning papers and find that my favourite batsman, someone whose Slazenger bat still is in my wishlist, has views not very different from mine on the 'racist chants' issue. Even Border agrees on the whole taunting thing. Makes my morning :)

2 comments:

Krishna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Krishna said...

Kaisa hain bey?

We are kicking ass in Ozland :)